Saturday 6 August 2011

Fedora 15 Sometimes Really Suck

Here's a list of problems:
  1. Some GTK3 apps don't start at all (evince does, gedit and charmap does not)
  2. Printing from GTK3 apps doesn't work.
  3. Ugly symbolic icons show up in my xfce try panel (ibus currently).
  4. Printer does no longer offer High quality colour/greyscale options.
  5. XFCE does not save my mouse settings. It gets reset every time I either switch to VT, log out or plug out and back in.

I've never had such serious problems before with any stable release of Fedora since Fedora Core 3 (which was my first). I'm seriously disappointed, especially by the fact that some devs just don't care at all (the first bug blocks a load of useful apps to start, it's nearly three months old, reproduced by more people and still no reaction from the devs). I was even forced to install Adobe Reader to be able to print PDFs. However, it stopped working as well now…

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very puzzled about this Fedora version...what's happened? Too concentrated about Gnome 3 integration?

Vi+ said...

Use KDE, good that you have not only GNOME - easily!

Jef Spaleta said...

ive been able to print via evince reliably on my system. Any chance you could make a pdf available for me that does not work for you that I can try next week just to confirm?

-jef

Martin said...

@Jef Spaleta: It's not problem of the PDF, it crashes at the very moment it tries to open print dialogue and despite abrt thinking it's a different bug, I think the cause might actually be the same for which I cannot run gedit, gucharmap, etc. (I noticed all crash at cairo_pattern_get_type).

Jef Spaleta said...

hmm... im definitely not seeing that. Are you running with updates testing enabled? Is this 32 bit or 64 bit?

-jef

Martin said...

@Jef Spaleta: 32 bit, updates-testing disabled, XFCE, running since around F15 beta, maybe slightly sooner. As long as I remember I haven't been able to run gedit on F15 but printing from evince used to work. I've only recently managed to get abrt working (selinux related issues) so I haven't filled these bugs sooner.

Martin said...

@Jef Spaleta: Thanks to you I've been able to get deeper – it seems the GTK3 theme I use (an oldish copy of Adwaitha) to supplement the GTK2 one is triggering a bug in Adwaitha gtk3 engine, I don't know where though, but at least I can print and use gucharmap and gedit again.

Jef Spaleta said...

yeah... i would suggest since you started this system from a beta, that you perhaps do a fresh F15 install. I never trust the post-install bugs I see in my beta installs to be relevant.

And since Im talking best practices. Anytime I see something significant and oddball, I usually create a fresh user and test the same functionality under a fresh user to test to see if its system wide (and thus maybe something in the fedora packages) or a rogue config in my home directory.

If you need me to try to confirm something on my systems let me know. I'll install a specific theme or whatever you think is the root cause and try to confirm it for you.

-jef